Sunday 17 July 2016

Coconut bacon aka. the most awesomesauce thing ever



So, I made a salad. And it called for an interesting sounding topping, namely coconut bacon. Say what, you say? My thoughts exactly. Coconut that tastes like bacon? Well, why not. And since I'm a complete coconut junkie anyway, another way to prepare the delicious thing didn't sound like a bad idea at all.

So, after scoring some smoked bell pepper powder on the nearby Boxi farmer's market (where I end up spending all my money every Saturday) there was nothing that could stop me from trying out this weird but wonderful sounding thing.

And, oh my Gods... I mean, really. I cannot even.... Well, let me try. You know those moments, where you don't quite know how to describe the noise of pure pleasure that comes our of your mouth when it encounters something ultra specially delicious. No? Is it just me? Well, I moaned, giggled, laughed and groaned. All at once. And many tines. One might have thought there was someone else with me in the kitchen than just food and me, but no, it was just a foodgasm. Ridiculously overwhelmingly wonderful, this thing. Crunchy, sweet, salty, smoky, aaaargh just so good.

You really really need to make this. Really. You will regret it if you don't. I mean it. Do you need me to go on? OK, I'll shut up now. Here's the recipe. Thank you, Outi!



Coconut bacon

3 dl


3 dl coconut chips (the nice chunky ones)

1 tbsp tamari / organic soy sauce

1 tbsp maple syrup

3 drops of liquid smoke + 1 tsp bell pepper powder OR 

1 tsp smoked bell pepper powder

1 tsp olive oil


Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Spread on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Warm the oven to 75 degrees and roast the chips until they're completely dry. Toss and turn them once in a while (and take some samples. You know you want to.) If you're lucky enough to have a dehydrator, you can also dry the chips there. Or in a 45 degree oven overnight (leave the oven door cracked open a little). 

Store in an airtight box if there's some left. Which I highly doubt. 


No comments:

Post a Comment