Monday 13 June 2016

Chocolate chia pudding extravaganza



Chia puddings or overnight oats has been a blogger and foodie favourite for some time now. I'm only just getting into the thing, as my first test drives of the luxury breakfast were done in Thailand a couple of months back, inspired by Minimalist baker. Back then I served (or who am I kidding: ate. There was only me, devouring the whole thing) the pudding with fresh fruits. This time, as I was also making a chocolate cake for the day, I made my mom and me ridiculously wonderful breakfast treats out of the said chocolate chia pudding, whipped coconut cream, fresh strawberries and crushed nuts.

Yes, it was awesome. No, there isn't anything left. And yes, also the aforementioned cake is gone. But more about that beauty in the next post. But if you don't want to make a dessert-y breakfast thing, the pudding is also lovely by itself, although it does tend to get a bit lonely without at least some berries or fruit on top. Or granola.

The original recipe called for almond milk as the liquid, but I've made it with coconut milk (dilute with water if you don't want yours to be super rich) and this time, as I was running out of everything, I used a very interesting mixture of coconut water, yoghurt and the liquid left over from a coconut milk can when the solid white part has been scooped out to make coconut whipped cream. Not for the faint of heart!




Overnight chocolate chia pudding

(original recipe here)


1 1/2 cups (360 ml) almond milk / any veggie milk (coconut/cashew/hazelnut...)

1/3 cup chia seeds

1/4 cup cacao powder

2-5 tbsp maple syrup/honey 

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp sea salt

1/2 tsp vanilla powder/extract


Add all ingredients except sweetener to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Sweeten to taste.

 Let rest covered in the fridge overnight. Leftovers keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.

Serve chilled with desired toppings. 



No comments:

Post a Comment